Tuesday, October 22, 2013

A most meaningful endeavor


My studies leave me no time for blogging as much as I'd like, or at all; this is old news. And yet, a recent assignment for my Developmental Psychology class made me smile. For those who have been wondering exactly what the heck I'm talking about every time I refer to ultrasounds, pregnancy tests, or an illusive-sounding "clinic," now you'll know.

"Life Center is a non-profit organization that provides counseling and resources to young mothers and pregnant women free of charge. Although I had already decided to begin volunteering at Life Center prior to this assignment,  I saw this as an opportunity to reflect on my early experiences there. Conveniently but coincidentally, lay counseling is right in-line with my career goals of becoming a counseling psychologist.
            After many hours of watching videos, mentorship, and direct observation, I am now able to assist women in making informed decisions regarding their unplanned pregnancies. When a woman comes to us for clothes, diapers, or an ultrasound, I first sit down with her in a private room and invite her to express her current feelings and concerns. I offer her food-for-thought about her baby and practical information to help her with her immediate needs; but more than anything I simply provide a caring, listening ear.



            What stands out most about my experience thus far is how it has shown me that I am nothing like the "judgmental" person that society labels Christians as being. We ignorantly and hypocritically throw the "J" word around as if it grants us authority. I knew the stones were flung by hurting and confused individuals---but never has the fallacy of their words been so real than over the past several months.
            Before starting at the Life Center, I thought that surely my "judgmental" demeanor towards clients would be written all over my face: on a conscious level I knew it was, well, feces; but on a subconscious level, I wondered if it was true. And yet, as I sat with girl after girl, my meritless concern never so much as crossed my mind. Why? Because just like everyone else, these were real people. Beautiful, unique, kind-hearted people. And they responded to me because they could sense that I cared. Heart-and-gut-wrenching story after heart-and-gut-wrenching story, all I could think was, My heart bleeds for you. I could have been where you're at. You're worth so much more than your past indicates that you know. And oh, Someone loves you.
            After counseling one young woman she nodded her head, looked into my eyes and said "Thank you. I haven't thought of it that way." Suffice it to say, I have every confidence that what I am doing is an important, meaningful, and intrinsically rewarding endeavor."


1 comment: